On 23 April 2018, the IIEA and McCann FitzGerald, with the support of Deloitte and media partner, The Sunday Business Post, co-hosted a conference on Brexit, Ireland and the Future of Europe.
Taking place shortly after the 20th anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement, this half-day conference featured a conversation with former Taoisigh on the topic of the Northern Ireland peace settlement, and the role it has played in the Brexit negotiations, chaired by Olivia O’Leary. Subsequently, a panel of high level European speakers discussed the future of the EU without the United Kingdom.
Session 1 – Brexit, Ireland and the Good Friday Agreement
- John Bruton, Taoiseach na hÉireann, 1994 – 1997
- Bertie Ahern, Taoiseach na hÉireann, 1997 – 2008
- Brian Cowen, Taoiseach na hÉireann, 2008 – 2011
- Chaired by Olivia O’Leary
Session 2 – The EU without the United Kingdom
- Rt Hon Dominic Grieve QC MP, Former UK Attorney General
- Jose Manuel Barroso, Former President of the European Commission
- Catherine Day, Adviser to Jean Claude Juncker, President of the European Commission
- Introduced by Barry Devereux, McCann Fitzgerald and moderated by Philip Andrews, McCann FitzGerald
Flickr Photo Album